Saturday, March 23, 2013

To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question


Why go? This is the question that so many people asked me, and that I asked myself before committing to leave home and everything/one I know to go to a place where I knew absolutely no one. Let me tell you, it was a lot easier to find answers to the question why stay than the question why go. Thankfully, God's voice is louder than mine, and He had the only answer I needed: because He desires that those He loves learn to love Him in return.

Now, I have been incredibly blessed to be part of a family with a history of "going". My mom was born in Japan because my grandparents decided to "go", no matter what the sacrifices. Not only is that a fun fact about my mom, but it is also proves that I have had plenty of examples growing up of what it looks like to "go." Unfortunately, I still missed it. I applauded people who went, but didn't really grasp the magnitude of what they were doing.

I think I'm starting to get it now. Yes, I thought when I signed up for this thing that I knew what going meant. I knew what my job was going to be, I knew the exact dates that I would be gone, I was ready. So I got on that plane, and absolutely believed that I was "going" to the nations. Then I got here, and over two months later it hit me. Just because I left home doesn't guarantee that I'm going to the nations. I may have left home, but I didn't leave my struggles at home. I'm still inclined to stay in my comfortable little bubble, to only make surface level conversation with people before hurrying home to where it's "safe". So even here, I find myself more likely to stay than to go. However, God is getting through to me, even if just a little bit at a time. A lot of this is thanks to my supervisors, who are fantastic people who have committed their lives to helping churches and students make connections with the nations and truly GO. I don't think they even realize how much they are teaching me.

So what does it mean to "go"? Wherever you are physically, have the mentality of going to every tribe, tongue, and nation. Make any casual conversation you have an intentional conversation, one that glorifies Him above all else. And if you happen to end up in a different state/country, the same applies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment