Here you will find the thoughts of an ordinary woman who serves an extraordinary Savior.
Saturday, March 30, 2013
Mexico: The Ever-Changing Experience
So, by my count I have been in Mexico for 45 days now, and of those 45 days no two of them have been alike. Days here are like the fingerprints/snowflakes of the calendar apparently. Our lives and schedules are constantly changing. Whether it's because the teachers are blocking the streets or the stores (again), there's a holiday we didn't know existed, someone gets sick, someone comes to town, or something that was true yesterday is no longer true today, plans and schedules just change. Let me give you a couple of examples.
On Tuesday, instead of going to the children's home we were going to go buy shoes for all of the kids. So we crammed into the jeep and drove all the way across town to discover that the teachers decided it was a good day to hang out in front of the stores and keep people from going in. Is for fun. So no shoes on Tuesday. Then this evening the four of us and Haylee were going to a jovenes (youth) hang out at the church. It was scheduled for 5 so we left home at 5:15, thinking we were being smart and would arrive when people actually were getting there. You know, Mexico time. But no. Almost no one else got there until at least 6. You'd think we would have learned by now, but obviously not :)
Now please don't take this as complaining. As I'm pretty sure I've said before, I LOVE MEXICO. I love the people, the language, the food, the randomness, I love it all. Well, except for the whole "I'm white so everyone constantly stares at me" part. Although I must say I feel like I'm actually getting used to that as well. The point is, I left a very organized, scheduled life, which was the way I liked it, and I came somewhere where schedules are more like guidelines than actual rules. And I'm surviving. So let that be an encouragement to any of you who God may be calling to do something slightly uncomfortable. If He wants you to do it, He will make you able to do it. :)
One last thing: Thank you for praying! It may not feel like much, but we can all see the difference it makes when people at home are praying for all of the people here.
Here are a couple of ways your prayer is helping:
-The four of us girls are from four different states with four very different personalities. And we all get along. Praise God for that!
-We have new people coming every week to our ESL classes, many of whom are not Christians, and we have the chance to share stories from God's word with them!
-Despite the language barrier, we are all making relationships with locals, and are continuing to learn more and more about the culture and language.
And a couple of ways you could continue to pray:
-There has been a lot of sickness going around among us. Pray that we would all be healthy enough to continue in our various ministries.
-Although there is a large focus on the crucifixion of Christ, there is almost no recognition of the resurrection. Easter is an unknown holiday. Pray that the people would see that CHRIST IS ALIVE!
-There are several teams coming over the next several weeks. Pray that their hearts will be opened to the needs of the people groups here.
God bless you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment