Okay, to start off, I have to clarify something. Even though this post is called "Just a typical day"...nothing is typical about any day here. Every day brings some new kind of adventure of some sort. So maybe I should change the name but...nah.
Here are just a few of the "typical days" that we have had this week.
On Sunday, we arrived home in the pouring rain, only to discover that the workers who had installed a new front door for us had neglected to install a door handle, so even though we had our keys, there was no way to get into our house. We could have used the windows, except there are bars over them, so instead, after a quick chat with our landlord's sister, we then turned around and drove back to our teammates house. Surprise! They got house guests for the night. They were really helpful though, and didn't complain about our unexpected intrusion.
On Monday we waited around, until we finally got word that our door now opened. Hurray! So we rushed home just in time to welcome our little class of ESL students. I'm glad we got into our house, or we might have been teaching outside in the dirt!
On Tuesday we went out to try and get some language help, so we walked up and down the road that is currently under construction. That meant climbing up over a dirt hill on the side of the road, and down over a big pile of rocks, and then coming back over it the other way, this time with our tortillas and veggies that we bought from the street vendors.
Wednesday found us eating out at "Mama S's" house, the lady who has been teaching us a lot of the language. She fed us mole (chocolate chili sauce, kinda), and then helped us learn how to count up to 20. There is nothing like learning a new language to make you feel like a little kid again, stumbling through saying "simple" words.
Thursday we took a day off, and took our first solo drive into town. Since we were on our own, we, of course, got lost, and almost missed our Skype meeting. There was a lot of trying to figure out the map, making illegal U-turns, and trying to remember that the stoplights here are vertical, and not horizontal.
Friday was more language studying. This week we wandered into the little library to see if they had any books available in our language that we could study. They didn't, but they did have and English copy of West Side Story. I also found Spanish copies of The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter #4, and The Importance of Being Ernest. Not much help for studying, but fun for me!
And then, to round off the week, this morning we got up early to let in the guy who is supposed to install cabinets in our kitchen, but he never showed up. So instead we went back to "Mama S's" and she fed us scrambled eggs mixed with black beans, and a few stems of cilantro on the side.
Life here is an adventure. I don't love every day, and sometimes I wish for a normal job where I have a normal schedule and know more of what to expect. But then I remember, God brought me here, and I get to see Him working in really special ways. So yeah, when things go wrong, it's just another typical day.
No comments:
Post a Comment