Today is a special day in my family. No, it’s not one of the 17 bagillion birthdays that we celebrate every year. Instead, today is the day that my parents are celebrating 30 years of marriage! Since I can’t be with them to celebrate this big milestone, this blog will have to serve as my Happy Anniversary to them :)
So, in case any of you out there don’t know my parents, let me tell you a bit about them.
My Dad is an accountant, which basically means that he is good with numbers. Growing up that also meant that he was the one we would all go to whenever we were learning a new kind of math problem, and couldn’t sort it out. I couldn’t tell you how many hours Dad spent working on algebra and geometry between all of us running to him for help with homework! He is also pretty good at wearing a lot of hats. Looking back I can remember him being my teacher, banker (he made me fake checks and everything!), jewelry repairman, hair stylist, cook, and king of spring cleaning. My Dad is the one who taught me how to drive, and then came to my rescue all of the many times I had car issues (fell asleep driving, flat tires, transmission failure, icy roads, etc.). And even though it doesn’t happen very often, (I have 9 siblings don’t you know), I always love getting to spend one-on-one time with my Dad. He isn’t perfect, but he’s pretty great anyway.
My Mom is pretty amazing too. I have no idea how, but she has managed to survive raising 10 kids who have a tendency to get sick, to break bones, to fight with each other, and to find trouble or drama wherever they go. Who knows how many trips she has made to the doctor’s office, not to mention all of the trips to the grocery store to keep up with the appetites of all of those teenage boys! Mom was the one who taught me to love cooking and baking, even letting me have the run of the kitchen when I got the urge to get my hands in some cookie dough. She taught me to read, gave me my first books and, when I got old enough, signed me up to volunteer at the library, making my addiction to reading a permanent thing. When I got my first job at Chick-Fil-A, she was the one who drove back and forth to drop me off and pick me up because I was too young to drive, plus she always kept my uniform clean and grease free for me :)
Now, these are just a few of the things my parents have done for me over the years, but the biggest thing of all is something that can be seen in their lives today, in the fact that they have stayed together for 30 years. My parents are committed. I know, because I was there for most of it, that the last 30 years haven’t always been easy for my parents. Their kids have driven them crazy, their jobs have driven them crazy, they’ve driven each other crazy. But they stuck it out. These days sometimes I think it’s more likely to hear about someone’s 3rd wedding rather than their 3rd year wedding anniversary, but my parents have stuck with each other for 3 whole decades. I am so grateful for their example of what commitment looks like. Not only are they committed to each other, but they are committed to following God. I have countless memories of my parents talking to us as kids about what it means to follow God, and to obey Him. They taught us to read our Bibles, to pray, to serve others, and to love God above everything else. They taught us to be a part of the church body, even when it isn’t perfect, and do what we can to share God’s love with others. It’s because of my parents’ example that I am where I am, and why I am committed to staying, even when it isn’t easy.
I love you Mom and Dad. Happy Anniversary!
: )
No comments:
Post a Comment