Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Home.

This past week I have had the special blessing of being a part of a meeting in the Dominican Republic that included people who are serving all over North, Central, and South America. I met a TON of people! There are a lot of different things that I could talk about from this week, but in order to be able to finish this post before it is time to head back to the land of limited internet, I'm just going to stick with one thing: the definition of home.

Home is a word that I used to think represented a specific place for each person in the world, that everyone had that one place that would always be home, no matter where they are. Well, I am finding that that isn't always the case. After spending a week with all of these incredible people, and hearing them talk about where they have been and where they are going, I found that so many of them had multiple places to call home. They had homes in the United States (that they saw rarely), they had homes in the former countries that they had lived and served in, and they had homes that they were headed to at the end of the week. No one said, "Well, time to head back to the country I'm working in. Only a few more years until I get to go home!" Yeah, that definitely wasn't said. Instead, everyone said, "I'm going home!"

The craziest part of that for me was that I understood the feeling. Despite having only been in Mexico for about 3 weeks before leaving for the DR, as the week there wore on, it was Mexico that I was ready to go home to, not Arkansas. Not that I don't miss Arkansas and everyone in it, and not that I'm saying Arkansas isn't my home anymore, but God has made room in my heart for my new home as well. I am so grateful to God for making Mexico my home. I am so thankful that He has made me able to settle into this new place that He brought me to. Once again proof that if God calls you to do something, He will make you able to do it. :)

1 comment: